There are many different website developers out there, one of which is Wix. Wix enables users to create websites according to HTML5, as well as mobile ready sites. To achieve this, users access an online platform that uses drag and drop technology. Web developers can add things like ecommerce, social plugins, email marketing, contact forms, community forums, and more. Some of these widgets are developed by Wix, but others are third party apps.
Wix’ s business model is freemium, which means that it earns money by offering premium upgrades. Users have to purchase specific packages if they want to remove Wix ads, connect to their own domain, have additional storage, add ecommerce, increase their bandwidth, and so on.
Giora Kaplan, Nadav Abrahami, and Avishai Abrahami founded Wix in 2006. Their headquarters is located in Tel Aviv, Israel, but they also have offices in New York City, San Francisco, Vilnius, and Dnipropetrovsk. The company has strong investor backing, including Benchmark Capital, Bessemer Venture Partners, Mangrove Capital Partners, and Insight Venture Partners.
In 2007, Wix used an Adobe Flash-like platform to enter an open beta phase. Three years later, the company had 3.5 million customers. Additionally, Benchmark Capital, Mangrove Capital Partners, and Bessemer Venture Partners provided the company with $10 million Series C funding. The next year in March, the company had 8.5 million users and Wix was able to raise $40 million in Series D funding. By then, its total funding had reached $61 million. The company constantly developed itself and, in April 2014, they announced that they had acquired the Israeli startup company Appixia, enabling them to create native mcommerce (mobile commerce) applications.
The new HTML5 site builder was launched in March 2012, which replaced the previous Adobe Flash model. All sites that had previously been developed in Flash continued to receive support, but new customers would use HTML5 instead. 11 months later, Wix stated that it had been a very successful move, attracting 25 million new customers, leading to a 2012 revenue of $60 million.
That same year, in August 2013, the platform listed 34 million individual users. One year later, this had increased to 51 million, covering 190 different countries. This equated to around 45,000 daily new users.
The IPO (initial public offering) for Wix was on November 5, 2013. They raised about $127 million on NASDAQ for the shareholders and company. Since then, the company has invested heavily in marketing and in research and development, while at the same time growing its registered users very quickly.
Wix’s main milestones are:
- Founded in 2006
- Launched Flash Editor in 2008
- Launched HTML5 Editor in 2009
- Reached 11 million users in 2011
- IPO on NASDAQ in 2013
- Reached 50 million users in 2014
- New Editor launched, app market launched, and Wix music launched between 2012 and 2015
- Reached 90 million users in 2016
Wix Connect Domain is Wix's most basic premium plan. The Connect Domain plan gives you the Wix Website Builder but come with Wix branded ads ...
$3.50 – $7.00
Wix's Combo plan is the first premium Wix plan that is Ad free. The Combo plan brings more bandwidth and storage than the Connect Domain plan while ...
$8.50 – $14.00
Wix's Unlimited plan is recommended for Entrepreneurs and Freelances. It adds unlimited bandwidth and increases the storage. Like the Combo plan, it ...
$7.00 – $16.00
The Wix eCommerce plan is the first Wix plan that adds eCommerce or online store functionality to sell products. Wix eCommerce has all of the ...
$8.50 – $20.00
The Wix VIP plan is Six's most expensive plan which offers everything the eCommerce plan does, but adds premium support, faster response times and ...
$20.50 – $30.00
Wix has a number of specific features, including:
- Wix ADI, which is the very first AI (artificial intelligence) program that designs tailor-made websites for individuals
- New columns that enable users to split their site into more parts for a better look
- Wix animations that can glide in or bounce in
- Click to action, which means customers can telephone the company directly from the website
- Full integration with Google Maps, including various graphic colors
- Scroll effects like reveal, zoom in, and fade in
- The Wix Pro Gallery, where photos can be showcased online
- The ability to adjust a footer to enable the length of the website to be extended
- The inclusion of slide shows to showcase specials, events, new collections, and so on
- Mobile menu designs, which are fully customizable
- Apps (ID Discounts, Deal Maker, Facebook Live Messenger, MyReviews, Ranking Coach, Money Maker Gallery, Wix Restaurant Kit, Get Files to Dropbox)
- New templates are available. There are hundreds of templates to choose from that can all be customized through the HTML5 drag and drop platform. These include graphics, apps, fonts, image galleries, and so on. Furthermore, users can create a website using a blank template. Many independent reviews have listed Wix as one of the best free website builders around. They were also one of the first to include a Mobile Editor, which they did in October 2013. This enables people to adjust their website so that it is suitable for mobile viewing as well.
- The Wix App Market was launched in October 2012. Here, people can build applications using the automated web development technology made available by Wix, and they can then sell these applications to the millions of Wix clients all over the planet. There are free applications, paid for applications, and subscription based applications. The revenue split is 70% for the app developer, and 30% for Wix itself. One of the first of these types of projects was Wix Hotels, which is an online booking engine. Through the App Market, users can put third party apps onto their website. These include things like blogging, photograph feeds, online communities, music playlists, file management, and email marketing. Many of the applications are offered by worldwide known developers, including Ecwid, Shopify, LiveChat, Instagram, and Google. WixHive API was launched on May 15, 2014, which enabled all the different Wix apps that have been installed on a site to collect and share visitor information with other apps on the same site. These include things such as bookings, purchases, messages, and contact information. In so doing, Wix has enabled its users to learn more about how their visitors behave, which in turn can help them grow their business.
- Wix Hotels, which focuses on vacation rentals, B&Bs, and hotels, was launched in August 2014. It is fully integrated into the Wix website. In 2015, Wix developed Wix Music, which enabled independent musicians to sell their own music online. This year, in 2016, they developed Wix Restaurants. Further apps specific to niche markets are likely to be made available soon.
Music, songs, singles
Hi-tech, IT, computing, and businesses
Marketing, Advertising, Design, PR, Branding, Photography, Retail, Writers, Architect, Portfolio
Businesses, Professionals, Web designers
Businesses, stores, and health products
Electronic music, DJ, bands, musician
Colleges, universities, schools, and other academic institutions
Travel agencies, vacations, holidays, and businesses
Applications, software, mobile businesses, and high-tech companies.
Portfolios, production, media, and film companies, creative professionals
Theater, broadway, theater plays and creative proffesionals
Producers, directors, videographers, film companies, portfolios, creative professionals.
Creative professionals, artists, art directors
Video editors, photo editors, photographers, videographers, creatives, entrepreneurs, self-employed
Businesses, Professionals, Web designers
Businesses, professionals, web desingers, corporate businesses. small firms
Bands, musicians, artists and creatives
Producers, composers, recording studios, and other businesses in the music industry
photography, business, design&art, portfolio, online shop
Fashion, design, clothing, ecommerce
Bands, artists, performers and creative professionals.
Businesses, Professionals, Web designers
Fan sites, tribute pages and magazines
Performers, comedians, actors, entertainment professionals
Actors, artists, performers and creative professionals